Don't fall for warranty traps - read our guide on AUL Extended Car Warranty
Nicholas Hinrichsen - Published: January 15, 2021
Overview of the Protect My Car Car Warranty (VSC Plan)
Our goal is to help you build financial strength by making the right financial choices when it comes to your car. We wrote in-depth articles on a variety of VSC plans (Vehicle Service Contracts, and also known as aftermarket warranties) so you can compare the different carriers, lower your monthly payments, decide whether a VSC contract is right for you, and get the best plan at the lowest rate possible. If you're looking for ways to manage your Protect My Car VSC, you might be interested in one of these quick links:
- Manage your VSC plan
- Get a Quote for Coverage
- Make a Claim
- Cancel your Protect My Car VSC Policy
- Get in Contact
Manage your VSC Plan
Managing your extended auto warranty plan isn't always easy! Sometimes all you�re left with is the phone number and contact details for your aftermarket warranty provider. To reach Protect My Car you can call 1-844-556-4762.
This VSC provider doesn't have an online portal unfortunately. You'll need to call in or email a representative to get answers
Get a Quote for Coverage
Not every provider is able to give a quote directly to its members (known as direct providers). Many times you�ll need to purchase an aftermarket warranty at the time of sale, and through a dealership. There are several reasons why a warranty company will only sell through a dealer: The car is in a known condition, there is no adverse selection (e.g. the dealership is selling a warranty before an issue has arisen), and the dealership has repeated experience with the warranty company so that pricing can reflect the risks of �the vehicles that a dealer sells�. So if a dealer tends to sell vehicles that need additional repairs, the warranty company can adjust prices accordingly to the dealership as a broader group.
Make a Claim
The process of making a claim is pretty straightforward with Protect My Car. You can find details of how to submit a claim here -
The process is like most VSC providers where:
- First contact the claims department (normally via email, phone call, or through an app)
- The repair facility will then communicate with Protect My Car with an initial estimate before repairs are made
- A claims adjuster will then submit/give approval for the authorized repairs in scope
Cancelling your Protect My Car Insurance Policy
You can cancel your Protect My Car insurance policy anytime after you�ve purchased. You�re entitled to a full refund within the first  days, and afterwards entitled to a prorated refund. In order to cancel the contract just ensure to have your policy number, current vehicle odometer, and other plan details ready.
You�ll need to contact Protect My Car directly through one of the contact methods listed below to complete your cancellation.
Get in Touch with Protect My Car
If you want to just get in touch with Protect My Car there�s the formal channels:
- Phone: 1-844-556-4762
- Address: 570 Carillon Pkwy, Ste 300, St. Petersburg, Florida, 33716
These are the social links listed below:
- Facebook Page: facebook
- Twitter Page: twitter
- YouTube Page: youtube
- LinkedIn Page: linkedin
- Instagram Page: instagram
- Pinterest Page: pinterest
Background on Protect My Car Warranties & VSC�s
Protect My Car warranty and VSC company has a storied history:
- It was founded in the year 2005
- Its founder is Craig Rubino
- Company headquarters are located in St. Petersburg, Florida
- Currently employes around: 184
- Has a current estimated revenue of: 106 Million
What plans are available from Protect My Car?
Protect My Car has a variety of plans available for coverage for your car. You can find a complete list of coverage options by going here:
In general VSC coverages generally fall into several categories (but are all relabeled something else):
- Exclusionary Coverage Plans: These plans are generally the highest coverage plans available for used cars and they re labeled exclusionary plans because they generally provide coverage for everything �except� what�s listed in the plan. So rather than listing what components ARE covered, the plans list what IS NOT covered (or excluded). These plans are most similar to the bumper to bumper coverage that normally comes with the vehicle. Reading the fine print is often easier for these plans, but they also tend to be more expensive.
- Inclusionary Coverage Plans: These plans work oppositely from the exclusionary coverage plans. These plans only cover what is explicitly mentioned in the plan. So if the plan covers �Pistons and Crankshaft� but not �Crankshaft Shell Bearing� you may end up paying for lots of components that need replacement but weren�t explicitly mentioned. Often these plans exclude electrical components, gaskets and seals, turbochargers, and other high expense items.
- Powertrain Coverage Plans: These plans can be either inclusionary or exclusionary, but these plans cover only the drivetrain of the car. This is generally limited to the Engine, Transmission, Differential and drive axles. This more limited coverage is generally less expensive, but obviously excludes a large portion of the vehicle.
How to contact Protect My Car for customer service or claims
To contact Protect My Car for customer service, there�s several means to reach them:
You can find various means to contact Protect My Car Get in Contact :
In general there may be several departments you mind need to reach:
- For all inquiries try the following:
- Phone: 1-844-556-4762
- Policy Questions:
- Phone: 1-844-556-4762
- Quote Questions:
- Phone: 1 (800) 253-2850
- Claims Questions:
- Phone: 1-844-256-4762
Protect My Car warranty and VSC plan reviews and ratings
Protect My Car has reviews if you look online. While its often considered a better alternative to other VSC providers, there are items in its review history worth examining.
Protect My Car has mostly positive reviews via Better Business Bureau (BBB), averaging 4.69 stars out of 5. Customers' complaints follow a pattern of PMC failing to provide services they have been contracted for. Typically such frustrations can be avoided by reading the contract thoroughly and understanding what is and isn't covered in your service agreement.
You can find some more complete review, and find other details on accreditation through looking at these resources:
- BBB Reviews are Located Here: Link
- Yelp Reviews are Located Here: Link
- Trustpilot Reviews are Located Here: Link
- Motor1 Reviews are Located Here: Link
- Consumer Affairs Reviews are Located Here: Link
Picking the right plan from Protect My Car Warranty
Most aftermarket VSC, and protection plan companies have multiple coverage plans. We�ll cover only the most popular options here. Protect My Car has three major plans for covering your auto repairs:
PMC's Driveline extended warranty is designed for vehicles that are 4 to 10 years old and have have over 80,000 miles. This protection plan provides five years and/or 125,000 miles of warranty coverage against unexpected mechanical failures. It is an exclusionary policy, so the service contract details precisely which vehicle components are not covered. The deductible is $200.
The Select extended warranty option from PMC offers coverage to vehicles with more than 50,000 miles. Unlike the PMC Driveline protection plan, this plan includes front and rear suspension, as well as select brake components. This plan is also exclusionary and details in the service contract the components that are not covered by the warranty. The deductible is $100.
The Supreme protection plan is as close to the manufacturer's new car warranty as you can get. The difference between the Select and Supreme protection plans is the Supreme plan covers Turbo Charger, and also gives the option to include protection for Navigation. The deductible is $100.
Choosing the right plan obviously depends on your level of comfort with contracts and coverage, but we have a few general pieces of advice for extended warranty buyers.
Getting a quote from Protect My Car Warranty
To get a free quote started, you�ll need your vehicle�s VIN and exact mileage. Then you can:
Call to get a quote: 1-844-556-4762
Or you can visit the online quote portal here: Online Quote Portal
- You�ll need to enter your make and model
- Then enter the estimated annual mileage
- You�ll then be prompted to enter your contact information. Please note its often not possible to get a quote estimate without an email or phone number and the quote is not returned online.
- Route 66
- Warranty Solutions
- Warranty Group
- What is the expected repair costs of the vehicle you are purchasing and how does that compare to the warranty cost?
- Could you handle the cost of a large repair without undue financial stress?
- Can you find an alternative service contract or warranty for cheaper?
- How much is convenience worth to you?
- The company makes money by making it �difficult� to file claims and get reimbursement.
- The fine print in the contracts makes it extremely difficult for the consumer to understand what�s covered and what�s not - often revealing hidden costs only at time of repair
- The company makes its best full faith effort to make claims easy, painless and transparent before and during a claims process.
Competitors and Alternatives to Protect My Car Warranty
Protect My Car isn't the only extended service contract company. In fact there are many large national players. A few of the largest (which Protect My Car is a member of) are listed below:
Who should get an Protect My Car VSC or warranty plan
In order to determine whether a VSC from Protect My Car is right for you, you�ll need to answer several questions first:
On average, Protect My Car warranties are making money. So on average the Protect My Car customers spend more money buying a service contract than what the warranty pays out in repairs after factoring in for the deductible, denied claims, and un-cancelled contracts. For a normal dealer these plans make about $500-1000.
But, these figures are AVERAGES and so often there�s examples where the Protect My Car Warranty is underpriced relative to the expected repair costs. In order to find some of the expected repair costs for a given make model, RepairPal is one of the best resources to find these costs, as well as Edmunds.
Question 2: Could you handle the cost of a large repair without undue financial stress?
Since warranties are often money-makers on average it's generally a good idea NOT to get them. That said, often these warranties can be a good means for financial discipline and protecting against extreme downside that might ruin your car experience and cause undue financial stress. Let�s take a money-making warranty case to make a point below.
Suppose you�re about to buy a 2010 Mercedes SL63 where the engine fails 1 percent of the time at a cost of $20,000. So, the average repair costs is $200 (.01 x $20,000). As a company, Protect My Car can make money on the warranty by charging $500. And on average, this warranty is not a good financial decision since the repairs costs are only $200 expected vs. $500 cost.
However, if you ARE the 1 customer who has a $20,000 engine failure, you would be ecstatic to pay the $500. Not to mention, a $20,000 bill would cause other financial stress, and you may not even have the money to pay for this expensive repair. So now you�re left having to sell a broken vehicle, find new transport, and your perception of the Mercedes SL63 will be forever ruined.
So if the �bad luck� of expensive repairs could bankrupt you, cause undue stress, or ruin the vehicle experience than an Extended car warranty could be a safe means to buy peace of mind and avoid �car induced bankruptcy�.
Question 3: Can you find an alternative extended service contract or warranty for cheaper than the Endurance Warranty?
Up until now, we�ve focused on whether to buy �the Protect My Car warranty� or not to buy. The reality is there�s a third alternative - buy an extended warranty/service contract through another third party. Before buying the warranty from Protect My Car, you can also compare warranty options through a variety of different warranty companies mentioned earlier.
Make sure to be comparing plans with similar plans, deductibles, and mileage limits to get comparable costs. Additionally, ensure you vehicle doesn't already have some existing factory warranty coverage. For many car companies, the manufacturer's warranty is often still valid until 36,000, 50,000, or 100,000 mile intervals for the new car.
Question 4: How much is convenience worth to you?
Another benefit of Protect My Car warranty - you don�t need to think too hard when your car requires unscheduled repairs. Instead of price shopping repairs, getting cost estimates, and renting a car while yours is in for repair - you can just drop off your car at your favorite ASE certified repair shop and get a rental car through Protect My Car. Additionally, if your vehicle fails on the side of the road - an extended warranty often covers roadside assistance, towing expenses and other emergency roadside needs.
So while it might be possible to find cheaper alternatives, save money on repairs longterm, the Protect My Car warranty just helps reduce the need for you to think too hard about repairs and maintenance.
When does Protect My Car deny or make claims difficult
Like any company that specializes in losses (insurance companies, warranty providers, bond services) - Protect My Car needs to ensure its not simply paying out in all cases. This can be extremely frustrating as a consumer but generally a warranty company falls into several categories when it comes to claims:
Some customers had particularly bad things to say about Protect My Car: "I am so disappointed in protect my car, a friend recommend them, I purchased a policy in July to include electrical, my truck developed an electrical problem i took it to the shop and they told the mechanic that they don't cover the problem,why would they replaced an engine or transmission which is very expensive but don't cover a computer which is a fraction of the price." Wayne S. via BBB
This has to be balanced against the good things customers have said like: PMC stands out as having some of the best customer service in the VSC industry, "I recently had an issue with my air conditioner in my vehicle, the ac was covered but not the hose. I spoke with Michael Graham, who then connected me with Victor. Both of these gentlemen were God sent. They actually went above and beyond to take care of the issue and I saved $1,000.00. I definitely appreciate all the effort to guarantee your customers satisfaction. Thank You!" via BBB undefined
Haven't explored refinancing yet? Take a look at our exhaustive article about all the auto refinance companies and you will realize, WithClutch.com is the only fully digital platform that lets car owners like you do so from the comfort of their own home. No need to set a foot in a bank or credit union. You can lower your rate or get cash in as little as 20 seconds.
Follow three simple steps to refinance your auto loan, get approved in seconds and save thousands in minutes.