Don't fall for warranty traps - read our guide on Route 66 Extended Car Warranty
Nicholas Hinrichsen - Published: May 15, 2022
Overview of the GWC Warranty Car Warranty (VSC Plan)
Our goal is to help you build financial strength by making the right financial choices when it comes to your car. We wrote in-depth articles on a variety of VSC plans (Vehicle Service Contracts, and also known as aftermarket warranties) so you can compare the different carriers, lower your monthly payments, decide whether a VSC contract is right for you, and get the best plan at the lowest rate possible. If you're looking for ways to manage your GWC Warranty VSC, you might be interested in one of these quick links:
- Manage your VSC plan
- Get a Quote for Coverage
- Make a Claim
- Cancel your GWC Warranty VSC Policy
- Get in Contact
Manage your VSC Plan
Managing your extended auto warranty plan isn't always easy! Sometimes all you�re left with is the phone number and contact details for your aftermarket warranty provider. To reach GWC Warranty you can call 800-482-7357.
Luckily GWC Warrantyhas on online portal where you can login and manage all aspects of your VSC contract. You can find the login screen at :Login Portal This makes it very easy to manage all aspects of your VSC like billing, claims, etc.
Get a Quote for Coverage
Not every provider is able to give a quote directly to its members (known as direct providers). Many times you�ll need to purchase an aftermarket warranty at the time of sale, and through a dealership. There are several reasons why a warranty company will only sell through a dealer: The car is in a known condition, there is no adverse selection (e.g. the dealership is selling a warranty before an issue has arisen), and the dealership has repeated experience with the warranty company so that pricing can reflect the risks of �the vehicles that a dealer sells�. So if a dealer tends to sell vehicles that need additional repairs, the warranty company can adjust prices accordingly to the dealership as a broader group.
Make a Claim
The process of making a claim is pretty straightforward with GWC Warranty. You can find details of how to submit a claim here - https://web.ascwarranty.com/page/customer-claims.
The process is like most VSC providers where:
- First contact the claims department (normally via email, phone call, or through an app)
- The repair facility will then communicate with GWC Warranty with an initial estimate before repairs are made
- A claims adjuster will then submit/give approval for the authorized repairs in scope
Cancelling your GWC Warranty Insurance Policy
You can cancel your GWC Warranty insurance policy anytime after you�ve purchased. You�re entitled to a full refund within the first  days, and afterwards entitled to a prorated refund. In order to cancel the contract just ensure to have your policy number, current vehicle odometer, and other plan details ready.
You�ll need to contact GWC Warranty directly through one of the contact methods listed below to complete your cancellation.
Get in Touch with GWC Warranty
If you want to just get in touch with GWC Warranty there�s the formal channels:
- Phone: 800-482-7357
- Address: GWC Warranty P.O. Box 7900, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773
These are the social links listed below:
Background on GWC Warranty Warranties & VSC�s
GWC Warranty warranty and VSC company has a storied history:
- It was founded in the year 1995
- Company headquarters are located in Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Currently employes around: 155
- Has a current estimated revenue of: 151 Million
What plans are available from GWC Warranty?
GWC Warranty has a variety of plans available for coverage for your car. You can find a complete list of coverage options by going here: https://gwcwarranty.com/drivers/products
In general VSC coverages generally fall into several categories (but are all relabeled something else):
- Exclusionary Coverage Plans: These plans are generally the highest coverage plans available for used cars and they re labeled exclusionary plans because they generally provide coverage for everything �except� what�s listed in the plan. So rather than listing what components ARE covered, the plans list what IS NOT covered (or excluded). These plans are most similar to the bumper to bumper coverage that normally comes with the vehicle. Reading the fine print is often easier for these plans, but they also tend to be more expensive.
- Inclusionary Coverage Plans: These plans work oppositely from the exclusionary coverage plans. These plans only cover what is explicitly mentioned in the plan. So if the plan covers �Pistons and Crankshaft� but not �Crankshaft Shell Bearing� you may end up paying for lots of components that need replacement but weren�t explicitly mentioned. Often these plans exclude electrical components, gaskets and seals, turbochargers, and other high expense items.
- Powertrain Coverage Plans: These plans can be either inclusionary or exclusionary, but these plans cover only the drivetrain of the car. This is generally limited to the Engine, Transmission, Differential and drive axles. This more limited coverage is generally less expensive, but obviously excludes a large portion of the vehicle.
How to contact GWC Warranty for customer service or claims
To contact GWC Warranty for customer service, there�s several means to reach them:
You can find various means to contact GWC Warranty Get in Contact :
In general there may be several departments you mind need to reach:
- For all inquiries try the following:
- Phone: 800-482-7357
- Policy Questions:
- Phone: 800-482-7357
- Quote Questions:
- Phone: 800-482-7357
- Claims Questions:
- Phone: 1-800-482-7357 Ext. 198
GWC Warranty warranty and VSC plan reviews and ratings
GWC Warranty has mostly bad with a few good reviews reviews if you look online. While its often considered a better alternative to other VSC providers, there are items in its review history worth examining.
GWC has very poor ratings when factoring in customer reviews. With an average of 1.29 out of 5 stars on the Better Business Bureau (BBB), customers are mostly frustrated by the lack of customer service and support, fine print exclusions resulting in repairs not being covered, and the lengthy claims process. Obviously, customers who had good experiences (their claims were approved and paid out) left positive reviews of GWC.
You can find some more complete review, and find other details on accreditation through looking at these resources:
- BBB Reviews are Located Here: Link
- Yelp Reviews are Located Here: Link
- Trustpilot Reviews are Located Here: Link
- Consumer Affairs Reviews are Located Here: Link
Picking the right plan from GWC Warranty Warranty
Most aftermarket VSC, and protection plan companies have multiple coverage plans. We�ll cover only the most popular options here. GWC Warranty has three major plans for covering your auto repairs:
GWC's Exclusionary Coverage plan covers ALL parts under the manufacturer's basic factory warranty, with the exception of components listed on the "Exclusions from Coverage" section of each contract. GWC offers protections that can be added to any plan such as navigation system coverage, protection for high-tech sensors and more.
New Vehicle Protection
The New Vehicle Protection plan is designed for drivers who have vehicles that are still covered under the manufacturer factory warranty and want to extend coverage beyond expiration. The plan provides coverage that ranges from the most basic components to extensive repairs. To learn more about the options available, contact a sales representative at GWC Warranty.
Used Vehicle Protection
The Used Vehicle Protection plan is designed for vehicles that are no longer covered under the manufacturer warranty, or those with high mileage. This plan protects basic powertrain components, as well as extensive coverage for the most important parts. To learn more about the options available, contact a sales representative at GWC Warranty.
Choosing the right plan obviously depends on your level of comfort with contracts and coverage, but we have a few general pieces of advice for extended warranty buyers.
Getting a quote from GWC Warranty Warranty
To get a free quote started, you�ll need your vehicle�s VIN and exact mileage. Then you can:
Call to get a quote: 800-482-7357
Or you can visit the online quote portal here: Online Quote Portal
- You�ll need to enter your make and model
- Then enter the estimated annual mileage
- You�ll then be prompted to enter your contact information. Please note its often not possible to get a quote estimate without an email or phone number and the quote is not returned online.
- Route 66
- Warranty Solutions
- Warranty Group
- What is the expected repair costs of the vehicle you are purchasing and how does that compare to the warranty cost?
- Could you handle the cost of a large repair without undue financial stress?
- Can you find an alternative service contract or warranty for cheaper?
- How much is convenience worth to you?
- The company makes money by making it �difficult� to file claims and get reimbursement.
- The fine print in the contracts makes it extremely difficult for the consumer to understand what�s covered and what�s not - often revealing hidden costs only at time of repair
- The company makes its best full faith effort to make claims easy, painless and transparent before and during a claims process.
Competitors and Alternatives to GWC Warranty Warranty
GWC Warranty isn't the only extended service contract company. In fact there are many large national players. A few of the largest (which GWC Warranty is a member of) are listed below:
Who should get an GWC Warranty VSC or warranty plan
In order to determine whether a VSC from GWC Warranty is right for you, you�ll need to answer several questions first:
On average, GWC Warranty warranties are making money. So on average the GWC Warranty customers spend more money buying a service contract than what the warranty pays out in repairs after factoring in for the deductible, denied claims, and un-cancelled contracts. For a normal dealer these plans make about $500-1000.
But, these figures are AVERAGES and so often there�s examples where the GWC Warranty Warranty is underpriced relative to the expected repair costs. In order to find some of the expected repair costs for a given make model, RepairPal is one of the best resources to find these costs, as well as Edmunds.
Question 2: Could you handle the cost of a large repair without undue financial stress?
Since warranties are often money-makers on average it's generally a good idea NOT to get them. That said, often these warranties can be a good means for financial discipline and protecting against extreme downside that might ruin your car experience and cause undue financial stress. Let�s take a money-making warranty case to make a point below.
Suppose you�re about to buy a 2010 Mercedes SL63 where the engine fails 1 percent of the time at a cost of $20,000. So, the average repair costs is $200 (.01 x $20,000). As a company, GWC Warranty can make money on the warranty by charging $500. And on average, this warranty is not a good financial decision since the repairs costs are only $200 expected vs. $500 cost.
However, if you ARE the 1 customer who has a $20,000 engine failure, you would be ecstatic to pay the $500. Not to mention, a $20,000 bill would cause other financial stress, and you may not even have the money to pay for this expensive repair. So now you�re left having to sell a broken vehicle, find new transport, and your perception of the Mercedes SL63 will be forever ruined.
So if the �bad luck� of expensive repairs could bankrupt you, cause undue stress, or ruin the vehicle experience than an Extended car warranty could be a safe means to buy peace of mind and avoid �car induced bankruptcy�.
Question 3: Can you find an alternative extended service contract or warranty for cheaper than the Endurance Warranty?
Up until now, we�ve focused on whether to buy �the GWC Warranty warranty� or not to buy. The reality is there�s a third alternative - buy an extended warranty/service contract through another third party. Before buying the warranty from GWC Warranty, you can also compare warranty options through a variety of different warranty companies mentioned earlier.
Make sure to be comparing plans with similar plans, deductibles, and mileage limits to get comparable costs. Additionally, ensure you vehicle doesn't already have some existing factory warranty coverage. For many car companies, the manufacturer's warranty is often still valid until 36,000, 50,000, or 100,000 mile intervals for the new car.
Question 4: How much is convenience worth to you?
Another benefit of GWC Warranty warranty - you don�t need to think too hard when your car requires unscheduled repairs. Instead of price shopping repairs, getting cost estimates, and renting a car while yours is in for repair - you can just drop off your car at your favorite ASE certified repair shop and get a rental car through GWC Warranty. Additionally, if your vehicle fails on the side of the road - an extended warranty often covers roadside assistance, towing expenses and other emergency roadside needs.
So while it might be possible to find cheaper alternatives, save money on repairs longterm, the GWC Warranty warranty just helps reduce the need for you to think too hard about repairs and maintenance.
When does GWC Warranty deny or make claims difficult
Like any company that specializes in losses (insurance companies, warranty providers, bond services) - GWC Warranty needs to ensure its not simply paying out in all cases. This can be extremely frustrating as a consumer but generally a warranty company falls into several categories when it comes to claims:
Some customers had particularly bad things to say about GWC Warranty: "As a dealer that sold their products they dont stand behind what they say they will. They got aggressive on bmw pricing and when there was a problem they claim the customer didnt take care of the car right. The customer only had the car for 3 mos and the first oil change wasnt even due. Denied claim due to customer negligence of too much sludge. Now warranty is being cancelled with a possible cancellation fee." Simon S via BBB
This has to be balanced against the good things customers have said like: "I had a GWC warranty on my car for the two and a half years I owned it. I can�t say enough how grateful I was to have it. They paid out over $15000 in claims on my 335i. If I had a complaint, one, maybe two phone calls sorted it out. Would recommend to anyone with an older car needing a warranty!" Joshua B via BBB undefined
Haven't explored refinancing yet? Take a look at our exhaustive article about all the auto refinance companies and you will realize, WithClutch.com is the only fully digital platform that lets car owners like you do so from the comfort of their own home. No need to set a foot in a bank or credit union. You can lower your rate or get cash in as little as 20 seconds.
Follow three simple steps to refinance your auto loan, get approved in seconds and save thousands in minutes.